Just kidding…but wouldn’t that be nice! Regular visits with your Orlando dentist not only keeps your smile healthy, but can prevent other diseases too. Dentists say if your mouth is healthy then your overall health is usually good as well. However, if you have poor oral hygiene, there’s a big chance you have other problems present. Research has been proven to show, that as long as you keep up with your oral hygiene you can prevent many harmful diseases.
90% of all systematic disease (diabetes, cancer, heart disease, kidney disease etc.) have oral complications. According to the Academy of General Dentistry, there has been a strong relationship between periodontal disease and other health complexities such as a stroke or heart disease. If you are someone who is regular with your oral exam, then your dentist may be the first provider to sense a sign of an oncoming problem.
There are many routine exercises to do on a daily basis to keep your mouth healthy.
- Brush your teeth 2 times a day, for at least 2-3 minutes.
- Floss daily to remove plaque in areas your toothbrush cannot.
- Eat a healthy diet rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C to help prevent gum disease.
- Avoid tobacco products at all costs, as they greatly increase your risk for gum disease and oral cancer.
- Schedule regular dental check-ups, for early periodontal disease detection.
Staying on top of your oral hygiene will keep you healthy and happy. After all, a healthy smile shapes a healthy you!